Monday, August 25, 2008

Getting My Oil Changed

The bloodmobile was at our school today, so I took the opportunity to donate (and get free food). As usual I was completed fascinated by the proceedings, including the accidental blood squirtage I achieved when she stuck me with the needle. Gross, I know, but I think this stuff is cool, so bear with me. I also asked the nurse if their were any known health benefits to the occasional bloodletting; she responded in the affirmative by comparing donating blood to getting a cars oil changed.

This confirmed my previous suspicion that similar to muscles, lungs, etc., other body elements such as your kidneys can benefit by being forced to work a little overtime now and then. I'm not sure how long an individual blood cell lives in the body, but it can't hurt to let some of the old ones go every now and then in order to make room for some fresh ones.

No comments: