Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Major Squatage

Todays Workout: Squats

After my sorry showing last week in the Back Squat Count-up, I decided I definitely need to improve my leg strength and conditioning. As luck would have, I hurt my shoulder a little bit about a month ago, and it apparently isn't one of those injuries that clears itself up as I go, so I need to take some time off from strenuous overhead lifting. My next series of workouts will be leg intensive, and there might be some lower back and ab work thrown in. I will try not to fall back into the traditional 'leg day' mentality, so it will be a challenge to make things interesting.

For Today:

5 Rounds of Back Squats, 3 Reps a round. If you have back issues or are afraid of heavy squats, do one-legged squats instead, and do 7 reps per leg a round.

3o Minute intense bike ride.


When doing the back squats, warm up to the 3 rep weight with a 3 set scaffold. Do the bar, then do something you can hit easily about 8 times, something a bit tougher 6 times, and then begin the 5 round set.

My current squatting goal: 3 reps at 1.5 x my bodyweight, which = 261 lbs. I assure you I am nowhere close to that (I should take some pics of my legs :)); I guess I'll know for sure where I'm at tomorrow.

No comments: