Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Today's Agenda: Count-Up (Back Squat)

I'm going with another count-up again today; yesterday I actually did nothing, the deadlift workout was a post from last Friday's torture. I really enjoyed the count-up method though, so I am going to apply it to a different compound movement today: the back squat. Back squats tax every system in the body, so it should be a lot of fun!

To explain the count-up again: Start your watch and let the timer run to 1 minute. Once it hits the 1:00 mark, do 1 back squat. Rest until the timer hits 2:00, then do 2 back squats. Rest until the timer hits 3:00, then do 3 back squats, rest until the timer hits 4:00. Continue this pattern until your squat reps fail to match your minute count (say between 12:00 and 13:00 you only get ten squats in). Obviously, the more reps you do, the lest time you have to rest in between. Record the last minute that you were able to get all the reps in, that is your score for the workout.

I'm doing these at 135#, if you get to the 20:00 mark, end the workout. Next time, increase your weight.

Nick's # of Successful 135# Rounds: 8
Again, this gets brutal fast. Apparently I haven't been doing my squats lately. When I finished the 8 minute 8 reps, looked at the clock, and saw I had about ten seconds of rest before it got to 9:00, I knew I was in trouble. I got 6 reps in before the clock hit 10:00. I was wiped, except I went for a twenty minute run after that. Going to hurt tomorrow.

No comments: