Saturday, July 19, 2008

Oh jeeze...

Today I bring you: The Section 8 Portage. I created this baby after my recent Boundary Waters Canoe Area excursion. The 173 rod portage between Section 8 Lake and Upper Slim Lake gave me the realization that my prior workouts were not getting me in shape, so upon returning I embarked upon the crazy plan that I am now sharing via this blog. In honor of the meanest walk I've ever taken (ANY walk sucks with a 60# backpack and a canoe on shoulders, but this one was especially bad, including one spill in a mud puddle, numerous switch-backs up and down treacherous and slippery rock faces, several downed trees to climb over, and plenty of mosquitoes) I created this 173 rep workout. Enjoy. Oh yeah, don't forget it's for time as well.


"Section 8 Portage"

25 - Pushups

20 - 20# Dumbell Push-presses

30 - 135# Deadlifts

25 - Bench Jumps (Use a typical workout bench, make sure it is stable)

40 - 25# Dumbell Clean and Press (Do 1 side to 20, then switch and do the other side)

10 - Pullups or Chinups

23 - Pushups


If you finish by emitting the loudest, most soul-cleansing string of profanity that you've ever heard, you've successfully navigated the Section 8 Portage


Nick's Time: 20:15
It wasn't as bad as I remembered it being the first time I did it, so my intensity training might be working. The 25# DB Power Cleans were mean, but I could add a little more to the push presses.

No comments: